1. Application History
The record of Gynostemma pentaphyllum begins with Zhu Di’s “Materia Medica for Rescue the Famine” in the Ming Dynasty, which was called “Fairy Grass” in the Ming Dynasty. In ancient times, it was regarded as a miraculous “medicine of immortality and longevity”. It was known as “Gospel Herb” in Japan, and now it is known as “Southern Ginseng” and “Rookie against Cancer” in China. On March 5, 2002, the Ministry of Health included it in the list of health care products.
2. Modern applications
Gynostemma Extract Powder is used in the treatment of diseases such as leukopenia, hyperlipidemia, viral hepatitis, chronic gastroenteritis, chronic bronchitis, blood diseases, hyperlipidemia, hormonal side effects and abnormal sexual function. research value.
(1) Experiments have not confirmed whether Gynostemma Extract Powder has the effect of relieving cough and resolving phlegm in the treatment of chronic bronchitis and hepatitis. Its treatment of chronic bronchitis may be related to the enhancement of immune function, but this is an indirect effect. There are many clinical reports on the treatment of chronic hepatitis, and experiments have confirmed that Gynostemma pentaphyllum has hepatoprotective effects. Clinically, there are many traditional Chinese medicines for reducing transaminase, but few Chinese medicines for reducing bilirubin and inhibiting HBV-DNA. Gynostemma pentaphyllum has no effect in this regard.
(2) About anti-tumor and whitening Gynostemma pentaphyllum has anti-tumor effect. Although there are many anti-tumor Chinese medicines, most of them are weak. Gynostemma pentaphyllum has a broad anti-tumor spectrum, but the clinical effect is general, and it can be used in compound prescriptions to enhance efficacy. Gynostemma has a whitening effect and can treat leukopenia, especially after chemotherapy and radiotherapy. It has a certain effect on the clinical use of leukopenia.
(3) Regarding the syndrome of tonifying deficiency with Gynostemma, it may be related to the ginsenosides it contains, and it is also related to Gynostemma saponins. The content of panaxadiol glycosides in Gynostemma Extract Powder is very small, far less than the ginseng of Araliaceae. Tonic effect is very weak, very slow. Gynostemma has a heat-clearing effect. Taking it will only clear the fire, and will not get angry like ginseng.
(4) 1 pack of Gynostemma Extract Powder for the treatment of hyperlipidemia (equivalent to 2 g of crude drug, containing no less than 40 mg of total saponins), for 30 to 40 days, 23 cases of hypercholesterolemia were treated, and 5 cases were markedly effective. 7 cases were effective, 11 cases were invalid, the total effective rate was 68.17%.
(5) Other applications in the treatment of oral ulcers, psoriasis, physical weakness, poor appetite, fatigue, palpitations, dry mouth and other symptoms.