1. Anti-tumor effect: A large number of domestic and foreign research results show that emodin has obvious inhibitory effect on various human and animal tumors, such as breast cancer, cervical cancer, pancreatic cancer, liver cancer, oral squamous cell carcinoma, leukemia and so on.
2. Renal protection, anti-renal interstitial fibrosis and diuretic effect.
3. Liver protection.
4. Emodin has the functions of preventing and treating liver cancer, fatty liver, liver cell fibrosis, inhibiting hepatitis B virus, and protecting damaged liver cells.
5. Effects on the gastrointestinal tract: Emodin has the effects of purging, resisting ulcers and stress ulcers caused by Helicobacter pylori, and protecting the intestinal private membrane of rats. The mechanism may be that it inhibits tumor necrosis factor (TFN)- a generation and a large release of NO, the generation of oxygen free radicals is reduced and the aggregation and activation of neutrophils.
6. Anti-oxidation: Emodin has the effect of anti-oxidation and scavenging free radicals, and its prevention and treatment of atherosclerosis is related to anti-lipid peroxidation. Guo Yang et al. discussed the antioxidant effect of emodin on the periodontal tissue of rats with experimental periodontitis. The results show that emodin can significantly increase the activity of superoxide dismutase (SOD), reduce the content of malondialdehyde (MDA) in serum, and increase the activity of glutinous peroxidase. Restoring periodontal tissue health has obvious effect.
7. Beneficial to the cardiovascular system.
8. Therapeutic effect on acute pancreatitis: the combined application of emodin and Huangmipu can reduce pancreatitis and lung injury, reduce serum amylase, tissue necrosis factor and interleukin (IL) 6 levels, and its mechanism of action is to reduce Tissue expression of TLR4, and TLR4 plays an important role in acute pancreatic injury and inflammatory response.
9. Effects on the immune system: On the one hand, emodin can inhibit and treat excessive inflammatory reactions; on the other hand, it can promote the normal immune defense function of the body and play a two-way regulatory role.
10. Effects on bone metabolism: The effects of emodin on bone metabolism are as follows. First, emodin has an estrogen-like effect, which can quickly restore the sexual cycle of castrated female rats. Clinical trials have found that it has a follicle hormone-like effect, and it has an estrogen-like effect on patients with dysmenorrhea and endometritis when taken orally. Estrogen receptors have a high affinity and can stimulate the receptors to produce biological effects. Secondly, emodin has anti-superoxide anion free radical activity and anti-aging effect, and the effect of emodin on lipid metabolism and regulation of adipocyte differentiation may also be beneficial to the treatment of osteoporosis.