1. Application in food industry
Dipentene has a wide range of uses in food additives. It can not only be used in food flavors and fragrances, but it has been reported that it can be added to antioxidants such as BHA, BHT, sodium erythorbate, etc., and preservatives such as sodium benzoate. Another patent claims that adding limonene to low-fat chocolate works well.
1) Application in food flavors and fragrances: Dipentene can be used as a modifier in formulations of lemon, white lemon, orange, fruity and spicy flavors. Limonene can also be used directly in soft drinks, ice cream, candies, baked goods, jellies and puddings, chewing gum, etc.
2) Application in low-fat chocolate: The problem faced in the production of low-fat chocolate is how to reduce the fat content while maintaining the original quality and flavor of chocolate. A common way to reduce the fat content is to use fat substitutes, but this tends to give the chocolate an unpleasant taste. Through research, it has been found that adding Dipentene or limonene-rich essential oils to chocolate can make the chocolate less viscous and softer than similar low-fat chocolate products. In addition, since Dipentene itself is a natural flavor and fragrance, adding it to chocolate can impart a pleasant and refreshing lemon-like aroma, thereby improving the appearance quality of chocolate. Furthermore, limonene has good physiological activity and is a functional ingredient with great development potential.
2. Application in spice industry
Starting from Dipentene, carvone, dihydrocarvone, homolavandiol, menthol, carvaginol, β-bisabolene, acanthol, 1,8-p-mendiene- 10-alcohol and its esters (floral, mint aroma), terpineyl methyl ether (neroli aroma), 1-p-menthene-8-thiol (yuzu aroma), 2-propionyl-6-p-menteng Dozens of spices such as ene (orange leaf green fragrance), 1-hydroxy caraway menthol (tobacco flavor). d-limonene itself can be used as a raw material for preparing artificial neroli, sweet flower, lemon, and bergamot oils. It can also be used as a fresh top fragrance for cosmetics, soaps, and daily chemical essences, such as cologne, jasmine , lavender, pine, aldehyde, woody, fruity and delicate fragrances are all suitable. Racemized Dipentene is mainly contained in turpentine and its processed products, and has little value in flavoring. However, dipentene is widely used as a raw material for synthetic fragrances. For example, dipentene can be used to synthesize bergamot ester and orange Flower ketone, the p-cymene produced by disproportionation reaction, is the main raw material for the synthesis of musk and sandalwood.
3. Application in medicine
d-limonene has pharmacological activity, so it can also be used in medicine.For example, the compound limonene capsule made of d-limonene as the major component has the impacts of promoting gallbladder as well as liquifying rocks, controling qi as well as appetizing, minimizing swelling and soothing pain, and can be made use of to treat gallstones, cholecystitis and also postoperative biliary tract disorder.
4. Applications in various other areas
Dipentene can additionally be utilized as a solvent for enamel, pseudomagnetic and numerous oleoresins, resin waxes, metal drivers, or as a raw material for the manufacture of artificial resins and also synthetic rubbers. Furthermore, it can additionally be made use of as an insecticide. For example, the insect attractant 1,8-p-mendien-4-ol can be manufactured by oxidation of selenium dioxide.