The earliest use of Stevioside dates back to places in South America, where the Guaraní and Paraguayan people of Brazil have used stevia for more than 1,500 years, and they call it ka’ahe’ê, which means “sweet vanilla.” In 1931, chemists isolated two glycosides in stevia leaves, Stevia (Stevioside) and rebaudioside (rebaudioside). Generally, the taste of stevia leaves is sweet with a little bitterness, while the rebaudioside in it is sweet and not. bitter.
Stevioside, likewise called steviol glycosides, is an essence of stevia leaves, which does not consist of sugar as well as calories, as well as is called the “3rd sugar resource on the planet”. Stevioside is white to yellow-colored in shade as well as has an appropriate taste and no strange smell.
Stevioside is the 3rd natural sugar with development worth as well as wellness respect after sugar walking stick and also beetroot sugar, and it is a new resource of sugar with wide development prospects.
Stevia leaf is a herbal value, and the side effects depend on which product Stevia is purchased. The products of Stevia leaf or Stevia on the market can be roughly divided into three types:
Green leaf stevia Stevia extracts (Altered stevia) (eg. Truvia)
Green-leaf stevia leaves are stevia leaves that are generally available in the material store, and the processing steps are the least and the most primitive. This stevia is about 30-40 times sweeter than sugar. This Stevioside has been used as a natural sweetener and health food in South America and Japan for hundreds of years. It can also be ground into powder for use as sugar. This product is the most natural, with greater benefits and the fewest stevia side effects.
Sweet: 30-40 times sweeter than sugar Sweet: little Benefit: No calories or sugar Benefits: Proven beneficial for weight loss, lower blood sugar levels, cancer, cholesterol and high blood pressure Side effects: Contraceptive, avoid heavy use, 1 day The usable portion needs to be controlled under 5 grams
Stevia extract, many brands only use the sweet part of rebaudioside extracted from stevia leaves, which has no bitter taste, so there is no health benefit of stevioside. There aren’t many studies showing such Stevioside effects.
Sweetness: About 200 times sweeter than sugar Sweetness: No Benefit: No Calories or Sugar Benefits: No Side Effects: No Data Shown
Stevia leaf sweetener, the worst of the three products, is an almost complete modification and over-processing of stevia leaf, which is made through 42 steps and contains less than 1% stevia leaf content.
To make Stevioside sweetener, rebaudioside is first extracted from stevia leaves, then chemical solvents, including acetonitrile, a liver-toxic and carcinogen, are added, and the producers then add a substance called erythrose Transgenic corn derivatives of erythritol. Therefore, the use of such Stevioside is generally not recommended.
Sweetness: About 200-400 times sweeter than sugar Sweetness: No Advantage: No calories or sugar Effectiveness: No Side effects: Contains GMO ingredients, contains carcinogens, causes gastrointestinal problems
1. High safety. Residents of the beginning of Stevioside glycosides (Paraguay, Masai, and so on in South America) have actually eaten it for hundreds of years, and no poison has been located until now.
⒉ reduced calorific value. It is utilized to make low-calorie foods and drinks, and is really ideal for patients with diabetes mellitus, weight problems as well as arteriosclerosis.
⒊ Stevioside is easily soluble in water and alcohol, and also it tastes much better when combined with sucrose, fructose as well as isomerized sugar.
⒋ Stevioside is a non-fermentable material, stable in nature, difficult to be mildewed, will certainly not transform in the manufacturing of food and beverages, and is also simple to shop and also transportation. Long-term intake will certainly not trigger tooth decays.
⒌ Stevioside preferences like sucrose, and also has special cool and also pleasant characteristics. It can be used to make flavorful food, sweet, etc. Can likewise be made use of as a flavoring agent. Inhibit the strange odor as well as unusual smell of some foods as well as medicines, as opposed to sucrose, it is used in pharmaceuticals, syrups, granules and also pills. It can additionally be made use of in seasonings, pickles, tooth paste, cosmetics as well as cigarettes.
6. Security, under the common food and also beverage processing conditions, the residential properties of Stevioside are rather secure, which is beneficial to minimize the viscosity, prevent the growth of microorganisms, as well as extend the service life of the item.
⑴ stability to acid, antacid as well as heat.
Under the condition of PH3 (room temperature), there is generally no decomposition loss as well as no rainfall for 180 days.
Home heating to 100 ℃ in the variety of PH3-9, no change in 1 hr
⑵ light security. Whether it is powder or option, it is really stable to sunlight.
⑶ non-fermentative. Long-term storage space will not mold and mildew as well as wear away, as well as the finished product will not have browning phenomenon of sucrose after heat therapy.
Stevioside is extracted by soaking dried stevia leaves in water, filtering to separate the liquid from the leaves and stems, and further purifying with water or food-grade alcohol—a completely traditional botanical extraction method. Thereby, a pure natural and extremely sweet sweetener, stevioside, that can be eaten daily without affecting blood sugar level is obtained.
The traditional Stevioside extraction process is as follows:
The biggest disadvantage of this type of process:
1. The production time is long, and a large number of toxic preservatives are added in the production (otherwise the material will deteriorate, and part of the Stevioside will be lost);
2. Adding flocculant, the suspended impurities flocculated and activated carbon decolorization absorb part of the product, and the yield of Stevioside decreases;
3. The use of plate and frame press filtration to remove suspended impurities such as flocculants, the production environment is very poor, and it is difficult for the production environment to meet the production requirements of food additives;
4. The large-scale use of ion exchange and macroporous resin in production consumes a lot of water resources and chemical raw material resources. At the same time, it is difficult to use biochemical treatment of a large amount of resin to elute toxic wastewater, which brings heavy economic burden and environmental protection pressure to enterprises. .
The above agencies include: Joint Expert Committee on Food Additives (JECFA), French AN-SES (National Agency for Food, Environment and Labour Hygiene), Australia New Zealand Food and Standards Authority (FSANZ), US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and most recently The European Food Safety Authority (EFSA).
Preclinical and clinical studies have shown that the use of stevia extract is safe for the general population including people with diabetes, children and pregnant women, and people with unexplained side effects or allergies.
According to the domestic application of Stevioside, the largest beverage factory is currently the most used. Here are some issues that should be paid attention to when using Stevioside in beverages:
Beverage production is generally cold water without heating process. Therefore, it is necessary to choose Stevioside with good taste and easy dissolution. The production process of each manufacturer is different, and the sweetness of stevioside is different, but it mainly depends on the treatment of the aftertaste of Steviolside by each manufacturer. Smaller, the higher the quality of stevioside, the more suitable it is for application in production.
Choose the appropriate water temperature to dissolve Stevioside. Steviol glycosides with poor solubility can be soaked at a temperature of 60-70°C to make them dissolve on their own, but no matter which dissolution method, do not stir immediately after adding water to prevent it from forming a paste, and stir after most of it is dissolved. .
Soaking time: 20-30 minutes at room temperature, 10-20 minutes in warm water at 60-70°C. That is, in order not to affect the ingredients, the Stevioside should be melted before the ingredients are started.
Pay attention to the order in which stevioside is added to the beverage ingredients. In the beverage ingredients, the order of addition of stevioside should be before and after adding citric acid, which can not only achieve the multiplication of sweetness, but also play a role in correcting the taste.
1. The drying requirements of Stevioside are specified in GB8270-1999. In order to ensure that the water content of steviol glycosides does not increase after leaving the factory, that is, to prevent steviol glycosides from absorbing moisture, stevioside should be stored in a cool and dry place; in order to prevent Stevioside from being contaminated , to ensure its safety, it should be stored in isolation from toxic and side effects and chemicals; the inner packaging is currently used and disassembled, and those that cannot be used should be sealed and stored to avoid moisture absorption.
2. When using Stevioside, different pretreatment methods such as dissolving methods and stirring forms should be determined according to different products.
3. The taste of most Stevioside is close to sucrose, but some products have more or less licorice flavor. When using, it should not only eliminate the licorice flavor, but also maintain its sweetness characteristics, so that it can be used under the best conditions. use.
4. According to GB2760, the usage amount of Stevioside is “used in moderation according to production needs”. Although stevioside is not a limited-use sweetener, it should be used in an appropriate amount according to the standards of different products.
5. If the purpose of using Steviol is to increase the sweetness, improve the taste, and reduce the cost, and the product accuracy is still within the relevant regulations, it can be used directly; It can be used only after the relevant departments wholesale.
6. In the GB8270-1999 standard, the content of stevioside and the sweetness multiple are specified. In actual use, the sweetness multiple of stevioside (the ratio of the sweetness multiple of stevioside to sucrose) must be known, which requires users to learn To measure the sweetness multiple of Stevioside, a simple measurement method is now introduced:
7. Stevioside is used in combination with citric acid, malic acid, tartaric acid, lactic acid, organic acid, amino acid, etc., which has obvious disinfecting effect on the aftertaste of stevioside and improves the sweetness quality; when used in combination with other sweeteners, the sweetness can be multiplied. Effect.